St. Bridget's is an ancient church, consecrated in 1207, which has seen the worship of God through many centuries and continues to witness to the love of God for all his creation and the gift of his son, Jesus Christ, to save all who believe in him. We pray each week for grace to show the love of God to those we live among and to support Christian work in its many forms throughout the world.
Cornerstone, the journal of the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings (SPAB) describes the church of St. Bridget as "one of the star buildings of Monmouthshire, a red sandstone church enlarged in later middle ages and again in C17 and with a timber belfry to the west tower, stands on the banks of the River Monnow, separating England and Wales, opposite a medieval castle and surrounded by hills in the small village of Skenfrith. It contains treasures of all kinds; some medieval glass, part of a medieval chancery screen, wall paintings, monuments, decorative Jacobean pews and early benches, furnishings from a 1660s re-ordering including the font, even an Opus Anglicanum C15 cope."
This is one of the oldest churches in continuous use in Monmouthshire. The massive original altar stone has 5 incised crosses. It was hidden in the floor to save it from destruction in the Reformation (1550 - 1599). The church has been repaired, extended and re-ordered many times. Major work was done in 1663, a date found in several places in the church, and again in 1909-10, using the principles of the Art and Craft Movement lead by William Morris (1888). Repairs in 2011-12 re-instated the stone roof tiles and conserved the internal plaster and wall paintings.
Services are held every Sunday at 9.15am and funerals, Baptisms and Weddings can be arranged. Contact us if you would like to have a service here. A team of lay and ordained ministers, lead by a Priest in Charge, undertake pastoral visits and lead worship.